Monday, October 27, 2008

Passion

It seems to have become the hip thing to "follow your passion". But what does it mean? What does it look like? I've heard it described as something that you love doing, something that doesn't feel like work, something that flows out of you--that comes easily, is relaxing. Is painting my passion? I have been so confused about this. Painting doesn't feel like any of those things, but when confronted with the question "What is my passion?" it's the first thing (only thing) that comes to mind. Here's what I know...Painting feels like something I have to do. We have a love/hate relationship...I love paint, painting supplies, the smell, the creativity, the feel of the brush across the support, COLOR...BUT It's intense, it's hard work, endlessly frustrating, gnawing, yet infinitely satisfying. It is this pull from within. I can't turn my painting eyes off sometimes and I drive myself crazy! I'm forever thinking of a nice composition or mixing a color I see in my head. I see a nice palette in a few weeds growing along the road. (I can't turn the designer off either I always redesign menus, book jackets, I think eww wrong font, etc.) When I am not painting my creativity takes on other forms like painting my house, cooking, driving a different way home, doing a craft project with my kids, or designing a brochure. But, I feel like I really should be working at my painting. I know when I am painting I feel like I am doing something important and real. 
I'd post what I worked on today but it's not finished and I'm too vain!

2 comments:

Karen Appleton said...

Hey Pamela,
I love this post! I feel much the same way. Especially how the creative side runs over into all other areas of life. I'm glad to have discovered your blog!

Pamela Robinson said...

Thanks Karen! I'm so glad to have discovered yours as well. Such a gift (haha)